Monday, June 22, 2015

The Zombie Run: Cardio Is Important!

A great way to get yourself motivated to run is to have a goal or event to train for. Run runs and 5k races are PERFECT for this.

A 5k is 3.1 miles long, which can sound like a lot if you are new to running, but it's not as bad as you think! Most are timed events, but the times are not so strict that you couldn't walk the course, so even if you can't run or jog the whole time, you will finish and feel a sense of accomplishment that can motivate you to continue training. The crowds of runners and volunteers are also incredibly encouraging and help make the whole experience feel like fun instead of exercise.


When I first started the path to running 5ks I was a complete beginner. I had always hated running and thought I could never get over being tired and winded. I decided to use the Couch to 5k running plan. I recommend downloading the app and then hitting a treadmill or trail. It's as simple as 20-30 mins, three times a week. Here's a screen capture of my Week 1, Day 1:


It will sync up with your music and tells you when to walk and when to run.

For this year, I have my eyes set on..





The great thing about this run is you can choose to register as a zombie OR as human. Being a zombie sounds pretty fun to me! This kind of run contains obstacles for an added challenge and you earn a medal for finishing. 

If you are looking for a less apocalyptic 5k, check out these other great races for locations near you:





Have fun with it!









No comments:

Post a Comment